Qualifying For, Applying For And Obtaining Permanent Resident Status

To qualify for a green card in most cases, you must have lived in the United States for a number of years with a temporary visa. You may have a temporary work visa, a family-based visa, a student visa or another nonimmigrant visa. If you intend to apply for adjustment of status from temporary to permanent residence, you should work closely with an immigration lawyer to ensure you follow all rules and fulfill requirements.

Examples Of Nonimmigrant Visa Statuses That May Lead To Green Cards

Many clients of Chong Immigration Law PLLC seeking green cards in the Washington, D.C., area hold G-4, H-1B, J-1 or F-1 nonimmigrant visas before transitioning. They may qualify for an EB1-A visa as an alien of extraordinary ability. Some others qualify for EB2 visas and national interest waivers through their roles as researchers or contractors with international organizations like the World Bank and IMF, or by working on projects for major industries engaged in areas such as agriculture, telecommunications and chemical production. Many are also employed in science, technology, engineering and math (STEM)-related occupations.

Are You Ready For Permanent Residence?

Regardless of their occupations, all of our clients have required assistance understanding their rights and obligations that come with permanent residence. They understand the need for an attorney's help and guidance to try to move from a temporary to a permanent residence status.

There are numerous ways to obtain permanent residence in the U.S. With our help, you may be able to:

  • Petition on your own for a green card
  • Have an employer or potential employer apply to make you a permanent resident
  • Qualify as a victim of a crime or as a religious worker

These are a few examples of ways you may obtain a green card. Everyone's situation is unique, and it is important to explore all options with the help of a skilled attorney.

From Academia To Business: A Green Card May Be The Way

Have you been a graduate student, athlete or entertainer in the U.S. and now want to move from academia or entertainment into private business with the freedom to choose your employer? Potential employers may not want to go to the work it would take to get labor certification for you. For this reason, getting a green card via a self-petition can make you more attractive to employers.

Get The Help And Answers You Need As You Seek Permanent Residency

Learn how Chong Immigration Law PLLC can help you obtain a green card in a timely manner if you qualify. Send an email inquiry or call 202-798-7328 to schedule a consultation about your immigration status. The sooner we hear from you, the more complete advice we can offer with all your options in clear view.