Chong Immigration Law PLLC
Find the right solution
Phone : 202-798-7328

G-4 to Green Card: EB-2 Professionals with Advanced Degrees and National Interest Waivers (NIW)

Here in Washington, DC, we often meet potential clients who hold G-4 visas who, after years here in the U.S., are interested in transitioning to lawful permanent residence. One way we recommend obtaining their Green Cards is through a self-petition as an EB-2 Professional with an Advanced Degree and National Interest Waiver (NIW).

The G-4 Nonimmigrant Visa is held by Employees of NATO and other International Organizations, such as the World Bank and International Monetary Fund. Often these individuals represent the best and brightest in the world, holding advanced degrees in everything from engineering to finance to international development. Through their work with these organizations they oversee massive projects, develop significant research, and contribute to critical global relations. However, after years with these organizations they often want to develop their own projects or work with other groups towards the betterment of others. For this reason, they may qualify for an EB-2 NIW.

Many G-4 visa holders already meet the basic criteria as an EB-2 Professional with an Advanced Degree. To qualify, an individual must (1) hold the equivalent of a U.S. Master's Degree or the equivalent of a U.S. Bachelor's Degree with at least five years of progressive experience and (2) plan to work in a profession that requires at least a Bachelor's degree for entry. Once these qualifications are met, the individual may also be able to self-petition (meaning without an employer sponsor) if their proposed work endeavor in the U.S. is in the "national interest."

What qualifies as the "national interest" can be broadly construed to include everything from scientific research to development of practical applications to starting a non-profit organization. The focus on these cases is the benefit a proposed endeavor can bring and the individual's unique capability to bring the endeavor to fruition.

For many G-4 visa holders, they hold advanced degrees and have unique experiences through their work with international organizations which give them skills and insight that sets them apart. Moreover, they often wish to develop projects and endeavors which would benefit the U.S. This perfectly aligns with the aim of the EB-2 visa and the National Interest Waiver.

At Chong Immigration Law PLLC, we have helped many individuals through the EB-2 NIW visa process. Examples of our past clients include a Kenyan microbiologist working on HPV and public health, as well as a Brazilian engineer who designed laboratory safety systems and protocols for dealing with mosquito-borne illnesses.

If you are interested in learning more about how you can transition from a G-4 Nonimmigrant Visa to a Green Card as an EB-2 Professional Holding an Advanced Degree with a National Interest Waiver please feel free to contact us for a consultation.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
  • The Bar Association Of District Of Columbia
  • nglcc certified LGBTBE
  • American Immigration Lawyers Association
Email Us For A Response

Call Or Email Chong Immigration Law PLLC Let's Talk About Your Case

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Chong Immigration Law PLLC
1629 K Street NW, Suite 300
Washington, DC 20006

Phone: 202-798-7328
Washington Law Office Map